Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Baseball, T-Ball, Softball, Anyball

It feels like everything we do these days revolves around some form of baseball. Bryson is playing on a city league softball team, my nephew Brady is playing nearly every day on a legion baseball team, (often against Grady Burch whom we love) we have become awfully attached to the Spillet family and we all love going to watch Mason play, and of course, Brevin plays T-Ball twice a week formally, but all day every day my two boys are wearing mitts and begging me to pitch to them! Kelser takes a lot of pride in his role as "Bat Boy" and insists on wearing Brevin's cleats that are five sizes too big the minute we get home.


Brevin had the game of his life last week. He was playing charger (he stands where the pitcher would be and picks up all the grounders) and made quite a few fantastic plays at home. When out of the blue a pop fly went up in the air headed straight in his direction. He stuck out his hand and everyone was a bit shocked when the ball plopped right into his mitt. You couldn't wipe the smile off of his face! He ran off the field and said "Mom, did you see me catch that pop fly?!" We were excited that Grandma Mary Ann, Jillene, and Teagan were there to witness it. You can't get my boy to talk to you about much, but mention the "pop fly" and you'll get an earful.




Kesler now considers the baseball park his second home and most of his entertaining vocabulary these days has something to do with baseball.

flush: A drink made of flavored syrup poured over crushed ice

pleats: A pair of shoes with metal or hard rubber projections on the soles

skumsqueem: a substance formulated to prevent sunburn, usually by absorbing and reflecting ultraviolet radiation


Brevin's friend Colbe has a wii that Brevin absolutely loves to play. I refuse to buy any gaming system because I know what I did with every single, solitary, spare second of my childhood...with blistered thumbs I tried to save the princess with Mario, Luigi, and my little brother, Tyson. So every time Brevin gets home from playing with Colbe he asks for a wii. Our most recent conversation went like this...

"Mom, can I have a wii?"

"No."

"But, I really want one."

"Sorry."

"I am going to ask Santa Clause to bring me one for Christmas next year...do you think he will bring me one?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because Santa Claus has to check with mommies to make sure they approve of his gifts, and I will tell him no."

"Well, I guess I will just ask the Easter Bunny for one then." and he walks away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course! When Mom says "no" and Santa has to "check" with mom, The next logical gift bringing myth to turn to would most certainly be the Easter Bunny!
That is PRICELESS!
He is such a quick thinker! Luv it!
Kesler's Vocab is so sweet! We really like "flushes" too!!! YUM-O!

P.S. How is your garden coming?

Soccer Mom said...

LOL!! That sounds like many conversations at our house as well!!!!

Jaime And Tyrell said...

That's hilarious I sure hope the Easter Bunny does not check with mom before purchasing gifts!! j/k
When you guys come to Malad you will have to come try our Water slide thing.

M-n-M said...

He it amazing to see how the boys are growing up and becoming their own little person. I have the same philosophy with the Wii - thank heavens that have a good mom who will go out and stay active with them though.

I remember back in the day when we were addicted to flushes too!!

You better take some time for a little V-ball amidst all that b-ball.

love ya mm

Burrups said...

Love it!! Your boys are so sweet Ad. I love reading about them.

aironn said...

We live the baseball life lately too. Isn't it the best? I can't believe I haven't bumped into you guys at Cotant yet.